Saturday, February 28, 2015

Video on the Berman Int. in Chicago

The video was surprisingly enjoyable. After watching the Vagina Inc. last week, I had a bias opinion of Dr. Laura Berman. I thought she was entirely too medical and lack interest in actually helping couples in their relationships. Watching the video gave a new perspective of her work. I thought not only did she focus on the medical/biological aspect, but also discuss psychological and social expectations. She was warm and skilled in drawing out some deep history for both men and women in just a short week. Some of her exercises presented in the video highlighted not only the behavioral concerns but also the process, the pattern, and the family of origin. I was surprised by the progress these couple had in just simply one week. I felt that it was easier for these couples to get away from their normal environment and practice these skills they learn for this week without the distractions of reality. However, I also wonder how much will these couples retain after they are back in their real life. I wish there is a follow up session in 3 or 5 months to gauge the effectiveness of the treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment