Saturday, February 28, 2015

Hypersexualized society

I remember being a little girl, I always wanted to play with Barbies. I had a friend in 2th grade who have a room full of Barbies and I complained to my mom about not having any. I remember my mom rationale is that Barbies live in a lifestyle/world that is unreasonable and inappropriate for little girls. At that age, I had no idea what she meant by that. Now that I am older and seen different cultures and lifestyles, I can appreciate my mom's rationale. I wish when I was young, we have Tree Change Dolls. I thought the creator and founder is amazingly talented and thoughtful in re-creating these dolls in a way that is more appropriate for little ones. This once again reminded us that our culture provides us even at a young age a tainted values or images of our sexuality. I hope that parents can take advantage of this young artist work and re-create a new image of our sexuality to our little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment