Monday, March 23, 2015

Orgasm Disorder and Video

I LOVE the video from When Harry Met Sally? What a wonderful way to start the presentation! The presentation gave me a thorough understanding of FOD without giving me a headache from the overwhelming information. I found it helpful to have a better understanding that side effects from medication can result in FOD. This piece of information is tremendously helpful in the clinical practice. Besides, I found the discrepancy between research study and DSM diagnoses criteria is RIDICULOUS. As a student, we rely so much of our knowledge from scientific research. Much of our understanding and theories are driven from the literature. This discrepancy changes my perspective of scientific research. On the other hand, as we studied and discussed in assessment, DSM criteria sometimes can also be ambiguous as well. As we prepare to become a professional clinician, we really do need to put on our critical thinking cap on. 

The Strange Sex video was sad to watch. Personally, growing up in a conservative culture, I can somewhat understand the anticipation of the wedding night and the shame she had going to her father can help. The video does demonstrate the level of distress couples with FOD experience. However, I recently read an article that sexual functioning does not necessarily correlate with sexual satisfaction. I wonder for a less extreme case of FOD, will the couple suffer from that level of distress and dysfunction in their relationship? 

No comments:

Post a Comment